Saturday, April 9, 2011

Who is tired of advertisements on Pandora?

Like many other people I use Pandora radio daily on my phone pretty much wherever I'm going and I cannot describe how tired of listening to advertisements on Pandora I am. Its like no matter where you are even if you are just trying to listen to music there are ads everywhere.

Well recently Pandora radio received a subpoena from a federal grand jury looking into whether smartphone apps, I.E. Pandora share information with advertisers and other third parties. When the subpoena was issued Pandora openly admitted to "sharing" personal information so that their listeners could be provided with targeted advertising.

I'm fairly certain that Pandora is doing more than sharing information, because before Pandora was well known they didn't have any ad's and it was awesome! Then the developers of Pandora realized they could capitalize on all of the information that they were gathering from all of the people using their service. They realized they could sell all this information to advertisers and make loads of money, which they have done.

In my opinion when people started getting upset about the ads and questioned why they were there thats when they gave the option to upgrade to Pandora Pro, for 36 dollars a year. So either way they were making money off of you, whether from advertising or for the 36 dollars you are paying per year for a service that was once free not too long ago.

One can only hope that the outcome of this case is less advertising. The Federal Trade Commission said that they are developing a tool that would allow you to not be tracked on websites like Pandora that collect large amount of information from you. I hope that this tool is put into place soon so I can be free of ads and just enjoy listening to music.


No comments:

Post a Comment