Monday, June 6, 2011

Why Vimeo is awesome and Facebook is Scary!

Everyday there are two websites that I constantly check. Vimeo and Facebook. I have found myself wasting hours upon hours of time checking Facebook for no necessary reason. But what is so scary about Facebook.

Well since Facebook incorporated their location services into the social media website, I believe Facebook has become scary because it is now officially impossible to escape without someone knowing where you are at all times. I have the type of friends who tag us wherever we are and because of that everyone knows where I am at nearly all times. To me that is a terrifying thing that someone can always find me at any time of day.

I do understand the benefits of being able to check in at places, you can check in to get a discount at a restaurant, it helps out citizen journalists and so on and so forth but it is impossible to escape and get away without someone knowing where you are at all times.

To me Facebook has become a distraction and its power has reached a level of scariness.
A website that I find myself using daily for inspiration and to share videos and films that I have worked on is Vimeo. Vimeo has become a creative persons outlet where one can share and ask for feedback on projects without having to worry about spammers and random people commenting with unnecessarily negative feedback.

I think it is safe to say that without Vimeo I would not have had the opportunities career-wise that I have currently had. Vimeo gave me the ability to host films with their website and embedded them in my portfolio website. Their ease of use and the creative and helpful feedback that you get using Vimeo is great.

Hopefully in the near future I will steer away from Facebook or Facebook will give the option to turn off its location services. Finally I will continue to use Vimeo and support the creative website because it is a very powerful tool for creative people.

No comments:

Post a Comment